A Nairobi court has ordered six former influential public figures accused of defrauding a 79-year-old widow in Eldoret of a Sh954 million piece of land to file submissions by April 7.
Milimani chief magistrate Francis Andayi made the order after the prosecution closed the case against former Kenya Pipeline Company managing director Ezekiel Komen, former Uasin Gishu District Commissioner Benjamin Rotich, former Lands Registrar Tom Chepkwesi, Erick Tarus and Agnes Wangu and businessman Benjamin Kuto.
The six Kanu era officials are accused of illegally taking the land from Anne Kimetei under the pretext that the government acquired it to set up a settlement scheme more than 10 years ago.
They are also accused of illegally subdividing the 477-acre land. The prosecution led by Corporal Thomas Othoo attached at CID headquarters, Nairobi, said Chepkwesi illegally issued 72 titles to Tarus, Rotich and Komen as transfer of the land known as Sergoit River farm.
He told the court that Chepkwesi also issued the titles despite himself being served with a court order in December 2009 vacating the adverse possession order that had been issued by a High Court judge Philip Ramsley.
The court heard that the government never gazetted the acquisition of the land making the purported conversion and issuance of individual titles under registration land act Cap 300 invalid. The six were also accused of registering the 72 subdivided plots in their names.