A civil society group has accused the Inspector General of Police Joseph Boinnet of double standards in dealing with cases of abduction.
They particularly took issue with the massive resources invested in efforts to rescue Italian aid worker Silvia Romano, who was abducted last week in Kilifi county.
In an open letter to the IG dated November 29, Haki Africa said it is astonishing that helicopters, a contingent of police officers and a Sh3 million bounty have been released to trace the 23-year-old Italian.
In contrast, executive director Hussein Khalid said, the same effort has not been exhibited in abductions involving Kenyans.
“Immediately after the abduction, police moved swiftly to investigate the abduction. In less than a week, it is reported that more than 20 people have been arrested, security contingent deployed and even a cash reward for information that could lead to Romano’s whereabouts,” reads the letter in part.
Khalid has cited a recent incident where Husni Mbarak, 18, was abducted in May saying police had not done much to establish his whereabouts. The Mombasa-based organisation demands that the same effort be accorded to Kenyans who have gone missing.