NATIONALNEWSPeople Daily

Form One selection starts in two weeks

Mercy Mwai @wangumarci

The selection of candidates scheduled to join Form One next year will kick off on December 3. Education Cabinet Secretary Amina Mohamed announced yesterday that there will only be one selection process and not two as has been the case in the past.

Previously, the selection was conducted in two phases, beginning with candidates admitted to national schools before moving to those to join county and sub-county schools.

“We will launch the Form One selection on Monday, December 3. I want to clearly state that there will be only one selection process. There will be no second selection,” she said.

Speaking at Star of the Sea Primary School in Mombasa while releasing the 2018 KCPE exam results, Amina said the move is in line with President Uhuru Kenyatta’s directive that all candidates, parents, and guardians break for the Christmas festivities having already known the schools to which the candidates have been admitted.

Following the move, she said that the ministry’s relevant departments had put in place all mechanisms to ensure that the selection exercise is completed as fast as possible.

During this year’s exams, a total of 1,052,364 candidates sat the 2018 KCPE examination, Of these, 527,294 were boys and 525,070 girls with those more than  50 per cent of the candidates who sat for the Kenya Certificate of Primary Education (KCPE) scoring over 250 marks.

Results show those who scored 400 marks and above were 12,273 compared to 9,846 last year. Those who scored between 301 and 400 marks are 228,414, those who scored between 201 to 300 are 574, 927, those who scored between 101 to 200 are 235,573 while those who got between 001 to 100 marks are 2,177 students.

Amina said that the ministry had already conducted mapping of vacancies in all categories of schools and thus are ready to admit more learners under the Free Day Secondary Education programme.

The candidates whose results were released will form the second cohort to be admitted to secondary schools under the 100 per cent transition policy.

Already, she said Basic Education Principal Secretary Belio Kipsang had issued a circular of how the selection will be done to make sure that no candidate will miss a place in secondary school. “The Ministry will work with the relevant agencies to ensure that no candidate misses a place in secondary school,” she said.

Show More

Related Articles

Check Also

Close