K’Ogalo down Zanzibar’s JKU as Wanga’s double eliminate Yanga

Rodgers Ndegwa in Nakuru

Kenyan champions Gor Mahia and Kakamega Homeboyz sailed through to the semi-finals of the second edition of the SportPesa Super Cup tournament after beating their respective opponents at Afraha Stadium, Nakuru yesterday.

Gor beat Jeshi La Kujenga Uchumi (JKU) of Zanzibar 3-0 as Homeboyz saw off Young Africans (Yanga) of Tanzania 3-1 in a thrilling match.

In the Gor and JKU tie, the visitors threatened first when Hussein Juma was left unmarked by Gor’s defenders in the box to fire a thunderbolt at K’Ogalo custodian Shaaban Odhoji who was quick to clear the danger.

That woke up Gor as 13 minutes later, George “Blackberry” Odhiambo cut dangerously on the left wing and fed strike partner Ephrem Guikan who squandered the golden chance.

However, K’Ogalo had their chance to go ahead in the 23rd minute when JKU defender Suleiman Mwinjuma brought down Odhiambo in the danger area to earn a penalty. Guikan stepped up but his feeble shot was easily saved by JKU custodian Mohammed Abdukarim.

However, seven minutes later, Gor would rectify their mistake after Francis Kahata dribbled past two defenders before teeing up Odhiambo who beautifully tapped in for their first goal.

Efforts by JKU to level matters were thwarted by a resolute Gor defence and in the 35 minute, the 16-time Kenyan champions extended their lead  when in an attempt to clear the danger, JKU defender Joseph Posion fouled Odhiambo, resulting in a free kick.

Cercidy Okeyo stepped up to take the free-kick and passed the ball to an unmarked Geodfrey Walusimbi who fired past a clueless Abdukarim.

After the breather, substitute Meddie Kagere ensured Gor booked a slot in the semis after his diving header made it 3-0.

Meanwhile, Homeboyz shrugged off the underdogs tag to beat an-out-of sorts Yanga with veteran striker Allan Wanga scoring twice and Moses Mudavadi adding the other.

Former Azam striker Wanga opened the scoring in the 25 minute with a brilliant effort before adding the second five minutes later through a penalty after he had been brought down in the box. Simon Matheo reduced the arrears for Yanga via a free kick in the 38th minute for a 2-1 first half lead.

In the second half, Homeboyz were the better side and were rewarded with a late third goal scored by Wycliffe Opondo after a counter attack.

Show More

Related Articles