Slain Murang’a school principal’s wife charged

Two people suspected of being involved in the killing of Gatunguru Secondary School principal Samuel Mbogo on Sunday were arraigned in Murang’a court on Monday.

Alice Mugechi, the deceased’s wife and her accomplice Samuel Gitu Maina appeared before magistrate Margaret Wachira, but were not allowed to take plea. Jeremiah Kazungu, the investigating officer, applied to have the duo detained at the Murang’a Police Station for 14 days to enable him complete investigations.

Gather evidence “I did not have enough time to gather enough evidence against the two and I am asking for more days so that I can deepen the probe,” he said.

The suspects, however, pleaded with the court to set them free until Kazungu completes the investigations, saying they can then appear to take a plea.

Mugechi said she should be allowed to go home to organise her husband’s burial and take care of the children while Maina wanted to be freed claiming he had keys to his home and a child to look after.

The magistrate, however, declined to grant them their prayers saying releasing them at this stage would compromise the investigations. “A serious crime has been committed and the respondents have been involved and the court cannot set them free until the investigations are done,” she said.

The magistrate upheld the investigating officer’s plea to have them remain in police custody for 14 days to complete the probe. The couple’s eight-year-old girl who reportedly witnessed the ordeal is also helping with the investigations. The case will be mentioned on May 28.

Meanwhile, police are still searching for one more suspect in the matter, a matatu driver. The suspects are said to have attacked and killed Mbogo on Saturday night and stuffed his body in the boot of his car which was abandoned by the road side on Sunday morning a few metres from the home.

It is believed that the suspects were on the way to dump the body elsewhere but were forced to abandon their mission after the vehicle they were using went out of control and landed in a ditch.

The couple, with five children, is said to have had a turbulent relationship and had constant fights. The deceased was recently hospitalised after a domestic confrontation.

Show More

Related Articles