Eala MP stares noose over violent robbery charges

East African Legislative Assembly (Eala MP Simon Mbugua and three other people were yesterday arrested and face robbery with violence charges.

The arrest came as it emerged that one of the men wanted by police following the assault on former Nairobi Central Business District Association (NCBDA) chairman Timothy Muriuki is an ex-convict, previously held in Tanzania over violent robbery charges.

Michael Wathigo Mbanya, alias Mikey has, however, gone underground after he and others staged the attack.

Mbugua, journalist Stephen Sangira, Benjamin Odhiambo Onyango alias Solo and Anthony Otieno Ombok alias Jamal were locked up at Central Police Station and are expected in court this morning.

In court tomorrow Confirming the arrests, Nairobi regional Directorate of Criminal Investigations boss Nicholas Kamwende, however, clarified that Sangira may be detained for a longer period pending further investigations.

“The three are expected in court this morning for robbery with violence charges while Sangira will have to remain a little longer as we continue with investigations,” he said.

Mbugua was picked up around midday at a hotel near Integrity Centre, Nairobi in an operation led by Central Police DCIO Samuel Kobinah. After a cat-andmouse game with the police, he was bundled into a police vehicle and taken to Central Police Station where he recorded a statement before being hauled into police dungeons.

Efforts by some goons believed to have been summoned by the former Kamukunji lawmaker to come to his rescue came to nought even as they shouted outside the hotel.

Police sources said Sangira might have been arrested after hurling insults at the police as he allegedly tried to incite the goons against the officers.

Mbanya and his friends are wanted for robbery with violence charges following the April 30 incident at the Boulevard Hotel, Nairobi in which Muriuki was beaten up for “planning” to criticise Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko. The other suspects are still at large.

Mbanya and 11 other Kenyans were arrested in Maputo, Mozambique on December 16, 2005.

He was released from jail on August 13, 2014 alongside Boniface Mwangi and David Mburu.

The others were Wilfred Onyango Nganyi, alias Dadii, Peter Gikuru Mburu, alias Kamau, Jimmy Maina Njoroge, alias Ordinary and Patrick Muthee Muriithi, alias Musevu.

Others are Simon Githinji Kariuki, Boniface Mwangi Mburu, alias Bonche, Gabriel Kungu Kariuki and Simon Ndungu Kiambuthi, alias Kenen.

Wilfred Onyango Nganyi, Patrick Muthee Muriithi, Gabriel Kung’u Kariuki, Jimmy Maina Njoroge and Simon Ndung’u Kiambuthii were convicted and sentenced to 32 years in jail.

Boniface Mwangi and Simon Kariuki later died at the hands of Tanzanian police. They had returned to Tanzania to visit their yet-to-be-released comrades but were re-arrested in Arusha and were all charged with armed robbery and conspiracy to commit offence.

They were then locked up in segregation at Karanga Maximum Security prison for four years. Appearances in court were limited to mentions. They were later found dead.

Those in custody are fighting to be released. In Nairobi, police say they are tracking Mbanya and his accomplices, as they expand the probe to net more suspects who were at the scene but not captured in actual action.

Nairobi police boss Joseph Ole Tito said they had profiled most of the suspects and efforts to get them are ongoing.

Mbanya was the first to confront Muriuki and tore up a statement he was reading at the hotel as the group accused him of intending to malign Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko’s name. The goons then frog-marched him outside the compound and beat him up.

Whereas the attackers thought Muriuki was criticising Sonko, he was actually praising him and calling for patience to allow the governor deliver his promises.

Show More

Related Articles