Robin Obino @obinorobin
Property of unspecified value was on Friday destroyed after a fire razed down a section of upmarket shopping mall, Sarit Centre, in Nairobi. The fire that started at 8.00am caught workers unawares moments after they reported to work.
According to police, the cause of the fire was yet to be established although initial investigations pointed to an electrical fault. It took Nairobi City County fire-fighters, who arrived an hour after the fire broke out, five hours to contain it.
They had initially run out of water, prompting them to hire private water bowsers to help in the operation. Salons, barbers, cafeterias, fashion shops, restaurants, bank cash-points and other businesses were razed in the fire that was put out at around 4 pm.
No deaths or injuries were reported. Carolyne Kabura, the proprietor of Capricorn salon and barbershop said she lost property worth more than Sh2 million.
Witnesses said the fire started at a cybercafé at the first floor of the two-storey complex. “It was a huge fire; there are gas cylinders in the nearby restaurant so there were explosions,” one said.