People DailySports

KPL champions get boost ahead of CAF Tunis return leg with Nzoia win

James Magayi @magayijim

Second string Gor Mahia squad ground a hard-fought 1-0 victory over Nzoia Sugar to extend their Kenyan Premier League (KPL) leadership at a sodden Kenyatta stadium in Machakos yesterday. K’Ogalo made 10 changes to the squad that drew with African giants Esperance last Wednesday but were still strong enough to subject Nzoia to their fifth loss of the season.

Inventive forward Kevin Omondi scored the sole goal in the 41st minute, finishing with a crisp shot after former Nzoia winger Boniface Omondi had gotten the better of Hillary Wandera on the right. Ivorian Ephren Guikan’s 14th minute snap shot from range had rattled Nzoia’s crossbar.

Guikan had tamed Wesley Onguso’s long throw down the left channel before letting fly from distance only to be thwarted by the bar. Onguso spurned Gor’s chance of putting the game beyond Nzoia when Benson Mangala saved his second effort from the spot. Vincent Ngesa brought down Eliud Lokuwam in the box resulting in the penalty.

Onguso’s first effort went into the net but was negated as other legs crept into the box before the ball was hit. During the first match played in Machakos, Philip Muchuma scored the fourth hat-trick of the season as Chemelil Sugar walloped hapless Nakumatt fc 4-1.

Nakumatt took a shock lead when Brian Nyakan outwitted John Waw in Chemelil goal with just 20 minutes gone. A quick break down the right caught Chemelil defenders napping and Tom Adwar’s squared ball found the advancing Nyakan at the six-yard line.

The highly rated forward made for the ball with his right foot, fooling Waw to dive to his left before Nyakan expertly guided the ball into the net with his left foot. The lead lasted 13 minutes before Muchuma pulled Chemelil level with a beautiful finish, jigging past three defenders then rounding the goalkeeper to calmly finish.

Nyakan then wasted two glorious chances to put Nakumatt back in the lead as Chemelil hang on for a one-all half-time score. The millers were a changed side upon restart, dominating from kick off and Muchuma took just four minutes to An unfortunate 57th minute occurrence then took the game beyond Nakumatt as experienced defender Noah Abich scored in his own net to give Chemelil a 3-1 lead.

Kelvin Wesonga hooved a long ball upfront and Abich rose to clear. His backward header found goalkeeper Frankline Mwenda way off his line and the ball bounced into the net.

Abich was at fault again 16 minutes later when he clattered into advancing Jacob Mwamlangara just inside the box to concede a penalty which Muchuma scored, sending Mwenda the wrong way to complete his hat trick. In Mombasa, William Wadri combined with David King’atua to hit Sony Sugar 3-0 at Mbaraki Sports Club.

Wadri met Joshua Oyoo’s 10th minute delivery to tap Bandari ahead then doubled the lead one minute into halftime. King’atua then wrapped Bandari’s third victory in the 79th minute.

Show More

Related Articles