Bandari suffer setback in bid to occupy joint-top position

Charles Thuku and Frederick Likuyani @PeopleSports11

Coastal side Bandari yesterday settled for a barren draw with Thika United in a balanced Kenyan Premier League (KPL) match at Thika sub-county stadium yesterday.

This was the dockers second straight draw after settling for similar results against Chemelil Sugar at Mbaraki sports ground 10 days ago.

Apparently, it was Bandari who enjoyed ascendancy in the early moments but efforts by the likes of David King’atua, Shaban Kenga and Salim Abdallah were contained by a steady Thika defence line of Barrack Badi and Sammy Meja.

Playing before their ardent fans, Thika also carved their own scoring chances by Shami Kibwana and David Agesa but they, too, could not find the target.

Thika’s strongest point was in the defence line where Meja and Badi worked tirelessly to foil Bandari’s danger-men Kenga and Kingatua.

However, the absence of lead striker Eugene Mukangula was felt by Thika though there was consolation in the introduction of Davies Agesa who missed the match against Nakumatt due to illness.

Elsewhere at Kericho Green Stadium, home team’s Zoo Kericho’s woes were compounded after they lost to Sony Sugar by a solitary goal.

Despite the loss, Zoo had a huge chunk of the match with their strikers Nicholas Kipkirui and Mike Madoya unlucky with the chances they created.

The defeat was no doubt a bitter pill to swallow for Zoo who had succumbed 2-4 to Gor Mahia at the same venue last Thursday.

At Kakamega’s Bukhungu Stadium, Vihiga United’s winless run continued after they battled to a barren draw with visiting Posta Rangers.

The visitors, who were also seeking their first win of the 2018 campaign, expressed their intention in the third minute after veteran attacking midfielder Gerson Likono produced a powerful run on the right side before unleashing a low shot that was parried out by Barnabas Tiema for an unfruitful corner.

In 20th minute, experienced Osborne Monday spotted Lewis Tera at the edge of the box who made a swift turn and found enough space to shoot but his effort went few inches out.

The hosts, who looked nervous in the early stages of the match, took 23 minutes to taste Patrick Matasi of Rangers in the goal after Charles Okwemba rose high to head in from Michaeal Isabwa’s cross from the left side which was tipped off for a corner kick.

It remained a balanced affair though Rangers looked more dangerous with attacks at Vihiga winning several corners but nothing came out of it as both teams walked out of the pitch for the break.

Vihiga’s tactician Edward Manoah opted to strengthen his midfield by bringing in Godfrey Airo for Micheal Isabwa, and Vincent Wanda for Charles in Okwemba in 51st and 67th minutes respectively which injected some freshness in their attack.

Show More

Related Articles