People DailySports

Alwanga’s brace lifts Mathare past Vihiga, Wanga nets

James Magayi and Fred Likuyani @PeopleSports11

Bandari FC shocked big-spending Sofapaka with a 3-0 rout in Narok yesterday to cap a blazing genesis of the 2018 Kenyan Premier League (KPL) season.

Midfielder Anthony Wambani executed two opportunities within six minutes of the opening quarter hour of play to set Bandari on a smooth 2-0 sail at half-time and pose tough questions of Sofapaka’s expensively assembled squad. Former Oskarshamns forward David King’atua, who rejoined Bandari in January, rounded up the rout with a sublime finish nine minutes into the second half.

The big names signed by Sam Ssimbwa failed to rise to the occasion in a meek surrender that will surely spark fury from Sofapaka president Elly Kalekwa. Five hundred kilometres away, county sports ambassador Allan Wanga took 13 minutes on the pitch to score his first goal for Kakamega Homeboyz and set his new club to victory over hosts Thika United.

Wanga, who joined Homeboyz in the concluded transfer window after getting a job in the Kakamega county government, lived up to his billing during his first appearance for the club. His goal was all that mattered as Homeboyz, fifth place finishers last year, collected valuable points while Thika, who only earned another top-flight tenancy courtesy of a play-off victory over Ushuru, remain pointless.

Meanwhile, a second-half double from Clifford Alwanga handed Mathare United a deserved 2-1 victory against hosts Vihiga United at Bukhungu Stadium in Kakamega. Vihiga, who are making their top flight debut, started strongly with winger Christopher Masinza and striker Amos Kigadi threatening the visitors as Mathare’s defence was made to work.

Vihiga’s new signing Dennis Wafula then sent Bukhungu into wild celebrations after he controlled Patrick Okullo’s pass and unleashed a deflected short that easily beat Mathare goalkeeper Robert Mboya to hand the hosts the lead in the 23rd minute.

Kigadi had the opportunity to double Vihiga’s advantage in the 43rd minute after his low shot from inside the box went just a few inches wide as the first half ended 1-0.

After the break, Mathare tactician Francis Kimanzi resorted into a five-man midfield leaving Alwanga and Seda running rings upfront and this bore fruit two minutes into the second half with the former leveling the scores from inside the box after easily beating Vihiga defenders to dink the ball past Tiema.

Alwanga completed his brace for the visitors with a cool finish by placing the ball in the far corner after a nice assist from Seda to help his team pick all three points.

Show More

Related Articles