Police mull dropping murder charges against varsity don

PD Correspondent @PeopleDailyKe

Police are considering setting free the Strathmore University lecturer being detained in connection with the death of his wife as postmortem results have apparently absolved him.

Detectives at Dagoretti Police Station were last evening considering dropping murder and manslaughter charges that they had planned to prefer against Fredrick Ogola after the postmortem results indicated that his wife died of lung complications.

The autopsy conducted by government pathologist Johansen Oduor and another hired by the family also indicated that the body of Rebecca Gombe Mwachongo had no physical injuries.

According to a report by Oduor, Mwachongo is believed to have suffered lung-related complications, medically referred to as pulmonary oedema. It is caused by excess fluid in the lungs.

Pathologists said her lungs had fluid and there were no physical injuries on her body.

She also had a blood clot in the left atrium (in the heart) and traces of blood in the carotid artery.

This fluid collects in the numerous air sacs in the lungs, making it difficult to breathe.

In most cases, heart problems cause pulmonary oedema. But fluid can accumulate for other reasons, including pneumonia, exposure to certain toxins and medications, trauma to the chest wall, and exercising or living at high elevations.

Oduor, however, said they could not rule out anything as the cause of the condition. “It needs further tests but that is it for now,” said Dr Oduor.

Following the pathologist’s report, officers are now reviewing their investigations and considering dropping the charges altogether.

Autopsy contradiction

Ogola had appeared before the Kibera senior resident magistrate Reene Kitagwa last week but was not required to take a plea after police sought 10 more days to complete investigations.

Kitagwa granted police ten days to complete the probe and mention of the case is scheduled for this week.

Ogolla is alleged to have beaten his wife on the evening of December 31, 2017 at their Lavington home, leading to her death, which the autopsy report has contradicted.

The deceased was taken to hospital unconscious after an evening fight, but succumbed.

After the death, Ogolla posted on his Facebook account that he was “hurt” that he had lost his wife.

But in an interview with journalists, Ogola said he was playing with his wife when she appeared to have collapsed, and he thought “she was joking.”

Show More

Related Articles