Kinyuru Munuhe @kinyurumunuhe
Students from 10 secondary schools, who sat the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) examination last month will have to wait a little bit longer to know their fate after the Kenya National Examinations Council (Knec) withheld their results over suspected exam malpractices.
Education Cabinet secretary Fred Matiang’i said they have formed a multi-agency team to conduct thorough investigations on the matter and issue a report by January 18.
While releasing the 2017 KCSE exam results at Nairobi School yesterday, he warned they will not hesitate to deregister any school abetting exam malpractices. In this year’s exam, at least 40 teachers were busted engaging in exam practices and five students disqualified while they were caught engaging in the vice in exam rooms.
“We have withheld results of 10 schools for further analysis where it was established there was clear collusion. We have invited more expertise including Director of Criminal Investigations, the Director of Public Prosecutions and other professionals.
We have given ourselves two weeks to do this,” said Matiang’i. The CS singled out a school in Rift Valley region which he declined to name saying the principal aided students to destroy evidence by dipping mobile phones students were using in a bucket full of water.
“Some unscrupulous teachers also relayed prepared notes to candidates in examination centres in a desperate attempt to give the candidates an unfair advantage.
I am happy to report that most of these attempts came to naught bceause many of the masterminds were stopped by our ruthless and vigilant officials,” he added.
Despite the stringent exam management measures put in place, Knec and the ministry are still struggling to dismantle well-organised cartels involved in exams sale in private schools thereby compromising credibility of certificates and qualifications.