Bomet Governor Joyce Laboso has said she will not be cowed by her political detractors in the course of her duties as the county chief. Laboso spoke during a celebration and prayer rally at Bomet Stadium on Tuesday after the Supreme Court ruling, which upheld President Uhuru Kenyatta’s win, saying she was unwavering and will continue discharging her duties.
She said the election period is over, therefore, all leaders and residents should give her the opportunity to deliver on her campaign agenda instead of fighting her. The governor was addressing Bomet Central MP Ronald Tonui, who had earlier stormed the stadium with youths claiming that she was insensitive to their jobless status after their contracts lapsed.
“Let us respect one another and as leaders, we should always tell the people that contractual jobs are not permanent and when the contracts expire and they are not renewed, we should not incite them that they have been sacked,” said Laboso.
She said employment budget in the county was above 52 per cent instead of the stipulated 35 percent, adding that 220 million was being spent on county workers on a monthly basis, thereby, eating into development funds.
The governor said county staff needed to be downsized for the sake of development projects in the region. The tough talk came after Laboso and area Jubilee Party chairperson Bernard Mutai organised celebrations at the stadium, where Tonui had also planned to hold prayers for county employees, who were sacked for having been hired without passing through the Public Service Board, and those whose contracts had expired.
The county commissioner Erastus Ekidor had, however, dismissed Tonui’s meeting as illegal because the MP had not told the relevant authorities of the meeting’s intention, adding that the matter was still in court. Bishop Rugut of Full Gospel Churches, Narok, and other elders urged the leaders to embrace unity for the sake of development. At the event, Tonui pledged to work with all leaders in the area for prosperity of the county.