Health services in Murang’a county could remain paralysed for a longer after the nurses who participated in the strike were barred from gaining access to the health facilities on Friday.
The medics had returned to their work stations after the Kenya National Union of Nurses (Knun) struck a deal with the Council of Governors putting to an end the five-month long strike.
The nurses found other medics who had been hired by the county government after its numerous calls to the striking nurses to resume duty failed to bear fruit.
Led by their spokesman Kenneth Kihato, the nurses insisted that they have the right to report to work daring the county government to refer them back to the national government if they have fired them.
County Executive for Health Joseph Mbai said the county had warned nurses to resume work or face the sack. “We advertised for jobs in all hospitals and got new medics on board, for those who heed to our call their jobs are safe but those who remained defiant, the decision is irreversible,” said Mbai.