FeaturesPeople DailyTop Ten

Things that could kill your pet

1. Chocolate

The darker the chocolate, the more dangerous it is. And while white chocolates contain fewer methylxanthines, it doesn’t make it nay less toxic. Dog owners know better than to leave a Toblerone or two laying around.

Chocolate contains caffeine and theobromine, which fall under the methylxanthines category. When ingested, it can cause vomiting, dehydration, abdominal pains, severe agitation, muscle tremors, irregular heart rhythm, elevated body temperature, seizures and death.

2.Onions

Losing a pet under any circumstance is heartbreaking. It’s a further kick in the guts when death is caused by an unsuspecting ingredient, as is the case with many pawed friends who die tragically from everyday substances they consume in the home, take onions.

Be careful where you discard your onion scraps, because cooked or raw, they will harm your pet. Onions contain thiosulphate, which is toxic to cats and dogs and can cause red blood cells to burst.

3. Sugar/Orbit

That pack of Orbit in your bag could mean life or death for your furry friend. That is because it contains a sugar substitute commonly found in human food items and sometimes used in baking, xylitol, which is extremely dangerous for dogs and can even cause death. It lowers dogs’ blood sugar and brings on liver failure.

4. Macadamia nuts

Dogs will develop weakness and an inability to walk, specifically in their hind legs. Vomiting, staggering gait, depression, tremors and hypothermia.

5. Grapes and raisins

Like macadamia nuts, grapes and raisins can be extremely toxic to dogs. The results of consumption can be pretty devastating. Both cause rapid kidney failure.

Other than kidney failure, dogs can also develop vomiting or diarrhoea as well as a lethargic state. Dogs will also develop dehydration and lack of appetite. Death from kidney failure may occur within three to four days.

6. Apple cores

Dogs like people, love apples. And while most people avoid eating the core, our four-legged friends may not feel the same. The core of an apple as well as plums, peaches, pears and apricots contain cyanogenic glycosides, which is also known as cyanide.

Some of the symptoms that come from ingesting the toxin are dizziness, struggling to breath, seizures, collapsing, hyperventilation, shock and even coma.

7. Bacon

Foods rich in fat, like bacon, can lead to pancreatitis in dogs. Once a dog has developed pancreatitis, their pancreas’ become inflamed and stop functioning correctly.

8. Panadol

The need to ease a pet’s pain may turn into a bigger emergency as some painkillers such as Panadols are exceptionally toxic to cats. They can’t metabolise it.

9. Yeast dough

We all want a chubby pet, but bread is not how to go about it. The raw yeast dough from making bread can ferment in a dog’s stomach, becoming toxic. This can lead to severe pain and a potentially ruptured stomach or intestinal tract. Vomiting, abdominal discomfort and lethargy can also occur.

10. Coffee

Never let your dog near coffee or any form of caffeine. Coffee contains a stimulant known as Methylated xanthine. Methylated xanthine stimulates the nervous system in dogs, causing vomiting, restlessness, heart palpitations and even death. The darker the chocolate, the more dangerous it is.

And while white chocolates contain fewer methylxanthines, it doesn’t make it nay less toxic. Dog owners know better than to leave a Toblerone or two laying around.

Chocolate contains caffeine and theobromine, which fall under the methylxanthines category. When ingested, it can cause vomiting, dehydration, abdominal pains, severe agitation, muscle tremors, irregular heart rhythm, elevated body temperature, seizures and death.

Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.