Wangui Githugo, Anthony Mwangi and (PSCU)
President Uhuru Kenyatta Friday asked Peter Kenneth, who is running for the Nairobi governorship as independent, to drop his bid for Jubilee Party’s Senator Mike Sonko.
The President promised to secure Kenneth a position in government should he win the August 8 poll.
Speaking at the Jacaranda Gardens in Embakasi East during a campaign tour of the county, the President told Kenneth to accept the fact that Nairobi residents chose Sonko over him in the primaries and should therefore support his bid.
“We need a strong team. We need Sonko who understands the city’s residents, and we want you to give us the other aspirants who won clean nominations,” he added.
Uhuru told former Kenneth, who lost Jubilee Party primaries for governor, that it was time to abandon his bid and support the winning team of Sonko-Igathe.
“I say to Peter, the people of Nairobi wanted Sonko. Let him get on with the job,” the President said.
Uhuru assured Nairobians that Jubilee had picked a team that understands their needs unlike the Opposition, which has rundown the city.
“We know you have suffered under the current county leadership but we assure you that Sonko and his team will transform that,” he said.
Uhuru made stop-overs at Donholm, Tassia, Fedha, Pipeline, Taj Mall, Mradi, Utawala, St Benedicta and Eastern Bypass then exited to Kagundo Road.
Accompanied by his deputy William Ruto, Jubilee Nairobi candidates including Women’s Representative Rachel Shebesh, Johnson Sakaja(senator), Beatrice Elachi(Dagoretti North) and Charles Njagua(Starehe) among others, the President said Nairobi deserves to be governed by an individual who understands its deeply rooted problems.
“We did not want to impose a leader on Nairobians during the primaries and that is why we never showed support to any of the candidates but Nairobi people spoke and chose Sonko. Now we stand with him and Kenneth should also accept that and join the next government,” he said.
“Let Sonko be, because so far he has shown good service delivery to residents and furthermore he understands the dynamics of the city.”
The President asked Nairobi residents not to repeat the 2013 mistake and vote for an opposition that has failed them in service delivery for four-and-a-half years.
“The time to restore the glory of Nairobi is now and you hold the key to that change. Vote for Jubilee candidates on August 8 and you will see how we will transform this city,” he said at Riruta playgrounds.
The President campaigned for himself and city Jubilee candidates and urged residents to vote for the party candidates in the August 8 poll.
“I am here to ask for your votes, to give me the mandate to finish the job. We have laid the foundations for prosperity and now we need to complete the job,” the President said.
Ruto said Jubilee has put in place an effective action plan that will create jobs for the youth in Nairobi and a cross the country.
He cited the construction of the Standard Gauge Railway, the improvement of roads and expanding electricity connection as part of the industrialisation agenda that will create employment.
“We have laid the industrialisation foundation that will create thousands of jobs for the youth,” he said, adding: “We want to continue the work we are doing. But we also want you to give us a strong Jubilee team led by Mike Sonko.”
The DP accused the opposition for their attempts to delay the August poll by using court cases.
He welcomed yesterday’s Court of Appeal ruling that ensured that the poll will be held on schedule as required by the Constitution.