Road accidents have claimed more lives so far this year compared to same period last year, data by the National Transport and Safety Authority (NTSA) indicates.
Number of fatalities between February and September 20, this year surged to 2,180 up from 2,125 recorded in the same period last year. However, the authority said there is a 11.2 per cent decline in pedestrian deaths from 917 witnessed last year to 814 this year.
NTSA director general Francis Meja (pictured) attributed the decline to construction of footbridges and erection of barriers at accident hotspots on major roads and highways.
“The Authority has focused on four key areas and targeted interventions, including erection of pedestrian guard rails,” he said. Meja said the authority has deployed marshals to ensure pedestrians use designated crossing points and bridges.
“For the last six months, we have consistently deployed teams to high-risk and black spots and the effort is bearing fruit,” he said. The director said NTSA has intensified the crackdown on speeding and drunk-driving, with 310 motorists arrested and arraigned in court in the last two weeks.
NTSA has also enhanced compliance to public service vehicles regulations by leveraging on technology for verification of documents and monitoring of speeding limit through a fleet management system. At the notorious accident black-spot, Salgaa, Meja said there are plans to construct a dual carriage way.