OPINIONPeople Daily

Waiguru ignored graft warnings, says Ngunyi

Political consultant Mutahi Ngunyi has stoked fresh controversy around former Devolution Cabinet secretary Anne Waiguru, claiming she ignored his warnings that there was rampant corruption at the National Youth Service (NYS).

Ngunyi, at the same time, said he has refunded to the Devolution ministry over Sh11 million which the Auditor General cited last year as having been overpaid to his consulting firm by the NYS as contract dues.

He told the National Assembly’s Public Assembly Committee (PAC) yesterday that the money had already been wired back to the Devolution ministry the previous day, as he tore into Waiguru saying she ignored four letters in which he raised the red flag over corruption.

He said Waiguru, who resigned her ministerial job later and has since ventured into politics, warned him against interfering with matters to do with corruption allegations at the NYS.

“I wrote to the ministry four times complaining that the systems at the (National) Youth Service were not effective enough to handle the huge amounts of money involved,” said Ngunyi whose firm, The Consulting House, was contracted to formulate programmes to transform the service told the committee.

“Instead, the minister told me verbally, your work here is not to fight corruption, concentrate on what brought you here. There are institutions charged with doing that work,” he added.

Asked by the committee chairman Nicholas Gumbo to name the ministry official he wrote to, Ngunyi said it was Waiguru. Ngunyi, who was accompanied by his lawyer, Jennifer Shamalla, said he was ready to present copies of his letters to the PAC, in which he complained to the CS that all was not well.

Earlier, Ngunyi told the committee his firm had wired back Sh11.5 million which was wrongly deposited to its accounts. Ngunyi said he only learnt in April, 2015, from the Auditor-General’s report that his firm had been overpaid by Sh11.87 million, from the amount of Sh90 million earned from a contract.

“I assumed it was from another client, whom we had billed for a similar amount,” he said, adding that the NYS had already paid his firm its dues in March, 2015.

Show More

Related Articles