NEWSPeople Daily

Cops linked to Eastliegh burglary detained

A General Service Unit officer and an Administration Police constable and four other people have been detained for 10 days to enable police conclude investigations into an alleged burglary where property of unknown value and Sh15 million was stolen.

Jamal Osman, Hassan Noor, Billow Abdile, Nasir Omar and constables Mohamed Billow and Kahiya Omar are alleged to have broken into a mall in Eastliegh and stolen Sh15 million and gold of unknown amount.

The money, recovered from the suspects, was in two currencies—Sh1.8 million and $17,275. Billow is attached to the General Service Unit headquarters in Ruaraka while Omar is based at Administration Police’s Security of Government Buildings (SGB) wing at Uhuru Camp Investigating officer Joseph Gikunda filed an application to detain the suspects for 14 days, saying they were “highly linked to the burglary.”

He said the police needed time to finalise investigations because other valuables are yet to be recovered. He said the burglary occurred late at night where 60 shops were broken into. “Most shop owners are yet to consolidate their records and shop accounts and we intend to arrest more suspects,” he said.

However, the first suspect Osman refused to be detained at Pangani Police Station as requested by Gikunda, saying he was assaulted and threatened by the arresting officers. “I was beaten senselessly by Pangani police officers.

They blind-folded me at night and one of them even threatened to kill me. I request to be detained at any other police station but not Pangani,” he pleaded. The third suspect Abdile and fifth suspect Billow, reiterated the same sentiments and requested to be taken to hospital.

Their requests were, however, rejected by the investigating officer who said the suspects had not been assaulted by anyone since their arrest. Senior principal magistrate Martha Mutuku granted the police 10 days to complete investigations and ordered that they be remanded at Muthaiga Police Station.

She also directed the Inspector General of Police to form a team to investigate independently the allegations raised by the suspects.

“To determine the allegations raised by the suspects, I order the Inspector General of Police to conduct independent investigations over the matter and also the suspects to be taken to hospital for treatment,” she said. The matter will be mentioned on September 9.

Show More

Related Articles